Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Anticipate Your Audience

(portions previously posted on September 26, 2011)

Did you ever show up for a business function and were over or under dressed?  The same thing can happen when you show up to do a presentation or give a speech.  You must know who your audience will be and dress accordingly.  I'm not saying to dress unprofessionally, just in line with what type of audience you will be addressing.  My rule of thumb is to dress one step above what the audience will be wearing.  I will give you my personal example. 

In my last job I would go out into the community to give presentations.  I would also go into companies and give the same type of presentation with similar information.  If I was going into a company or organization to give my budgeting presentation I would dress in a suit and my presentation would be very professional.  I had to give that same presentation to a women's shelter one day.  I did not want to alienate the audience by walking in dressed in a suit, I wore a more casual skirt and top.  Still looking professional, but more casual.  I did not stand up and lecture as I did previously at a large company, I sat down with the women and gave my presentation more as a conversation and less intimidating for my audience.  You do not want your audience to think you consider yourself to be better or above them.  This will turn them off immediately, they will be resentful and will not listen to you. 

Always dress for success, but always dress for your audience.

Until the next blog, Keep Speaking!!

Denise


Denise Ann Galloni, Owner and President
DG Training Solutions, Inc.

Email:  dgtrainingsolutionsinc@gmail.com

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/deniseanng

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/DGTrainingSolutionsInc

LinkedIn:  www.linkedin.com/in/deniseanngalloni