Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Expand Your Comfort Zone

Are you one of those people who go to the same restaurant and order the same food every time?  Most of us do this, at least occasionally.  It’s comfortable, easy and we don’t have to think because we know we like this item.  I’m guilty of doing this myself.  If my husband and I are going out to eat I know what I am going to order before we even get there.

Almost two years ago I stepped out of my comfort zone.  I quit my full time job making a very good salary without another job.  While deciding where to apply for another position, I stepped out of my comfort zone further and started my own company.  For years I have wanted to start my own business.  I went from wanting to own a consignment store, to wanting to own a specialty gift basket store, and the list went on and on.  Now was my time to do it!

I just want to mention I took baby steps when I stepped out of my comfort zone.  I wasn’t ready for a giant leap yet.  I started a company doing basically the same thing I have done for years.  But now I would be my own boss of my own company.  I wasn’t sure if I was sick in my stomach from the excitement or fear.  But a year and a half later, I am still in business and doing well. 

What’s next?  Since I have expanded my comfort zone, I want to step out a little further and push myself a little more.  I am taking my business in a different direction and adding different ways to generate revenue to my company. Again, it is scary but I can do it. 

Are you comfortable in what you are doing or are you happy doing what you do? There is a difference.  Once I sat and listened to someone complain about how much he hated his job.  "Look for something else" I told him. “What do you want to do” I asked?  "I can do a lot of things" he replied.  "But what do you want to do" I kept asking.  He didn’t have an answer.

I’m not advocating quitting your job without something else lined up or having another income source.  But while you are deciding what you want to do, take baby steps to get there.  If you want to start your own business in a few years, you may want to do market research or take a class on starting a business.  If you want to do something different, try learning some new skills.  Before you know it you will wonder why you were so intimidated to step out of your comfort zone.

Abraham Lincoln once said “I will study and prepare myself and someday my chance will come".  This is great advice, be ready for when your chance comes. 

What baby steps will you take today?

 
Until the next blog, Keep Speaking!

Denise

 
Denise Ann Galloni, Owner & President

DG Training Solutions, Inc.

Website:  https://www.DGTrainingsolutionsinc.com

Email:  dgtrainingsolutionsinc@gmail.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/deniseanng

Facebook:  www.facebook.com/DGTrainingSolutionsInc

LinkedIn:  www.linkedin.com/in/deniseanngalloni